Gas Safety Certificates

Gas safety certificates are something that are issued when a Gas Safe registered engineer carries out work on gas installations in your property.  As a homeowner, you don’t need to have a Gas Safety Record, but you do still want to have appliances checked every year.  Then you will build a record that you can keep and pass on, if you decide to sell the house.

Landlords are one group who by law must have a gas safety check every year.  This is for all gas appliances and installations such as boilers that are in the property.  It comes under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.  However, if there is a cooker that runs on gas and was owned and installed by the tenant, the landlord doesn’t need to have a gas safety certificate.

A gas safety certificate will include specific information.  This will include:

  • Description of each appliance tested
  • Results of the checks carried out and any safety issues identified
  • Any work or action needed to make the appliance safe
  • Details of the engineer who did the check and the date
  • Details of the property and owner

Landlords then need to provide a copy of this certificate to tenants within 28 days of the check for them to keep for their records.



0800 612 4493


First class service - thank you!.

Blocked drain emergency at my house tonight ....these guys came out within 20 minutes and gave a first class service

Fraser McGeechan

We work across
central Scotland